GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- This morning optometrist Dr. Gina Wesley joined us with her tips for optimal eye health. She said there are many resolutions we make every year for our own personal health, and taking care of our eyes is part of that. Plan now for what you will do in the new year to take care of you and your family's vision: regular exams, UV protection, safety eyewear, kids' exams and better nutrition.
All of these items will help ensure the best visual outcomes and lifelong ocular health:
1. Annual eye exams to ensure optimal health. Most problems aren't visually noticeable in the early stages, where prevention and treatment are most effective.
2. Wearing sunglasses for UV protection: cataracts and macular degeneration are linked with UV damage over your lifetime.
3. Wearing eye protection around the home and for sports is a must. For people under the age of 40, one of the top reasons for vision loss is eye injury.
4. Kids' need annual eye exams as well, even if they pass school screenings. Visual demands on how the eyes work together are greater than ever, and kids often don't know what they're experiencing is not normal.
5. Nutrition plays a big role in eye health. Eating leafy green vegetables, getting your Vitamin C, and getting omega-3's into your diet is very protective against cataracts and macular degeneration.
For more details about Dr. Gina and Complete Eye Care of Medina, visit www.cecofmedina.com.
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)